I stay at a lot of Airbnb all over the world. I am writing this article from one right now. I get hit-and-miss in terms of quality, but I have been lucky or, more likely, diligent in how I choose. I read the description, map it out on Google, and read comments, always looking for a coherent pattern. I will write a different article on choosing an Airbnb or a vacation home. I prefer to cook for my dietary needs, and I like to feel integrated into communities. I love mixing with the locals in most places I have been. So, I am hooked on Airbnb.
I have some recommendations for Airbnb hosts who want to offer superior hospitality. Airbnb hosts should always aim to provide a memorable experience for their guests—not cockroach-memorable, but positive. One way to enhance their stay is by transforming your small outdoor section into a charming and inviting oasis. I think many places I have stayed miss this feature because they are so focused on their guests, just sleeping and being out in town most of the time. Right now, I am treating this Airbnb as my home. I want a garden and back yard where I can spend time. I will send this article to my host—hint!
With a bit of creativity and thoughtful planning, a host can create a space where guests can unwind, relax, and soak up the beauty of the outdoors. In this article, I will explore practical and stylish ideas to help hosts furnish their Airbnb backyard and make it an enjoyable retreat for guests. Here is my recommendation to my host.
- Assess Your Space: Before diving into the furnishing process, take a moment to assess the available space in your backyard. Consider its dimensions, shape, and any existing features that can be utilized or enhanced. Understanding your space will help you choose the right furniture and layout to maximize its potential.
- Choose the Right Furniture: Opt for an item of functional and space-saving furniture. In a small outdoor area, versatility is vital. Look for pieces that can serve multiple purposes, such as storage benches that double as seating or folding tables that can be easily tucked away when not in use. Consider durable materials like weather-resistant wicker or metal that can withstand outdoor conditions. The chair cushions can go in this storage.
- Create a Seating Area: Designate a cozy seating area where guests can unwind and enjoy the outdoors. Arrange a comfortable sofa or loveseat with plush cushions and accent pillows. Add a coffee table or side tables for convenience, where guests can place their drinks—I mean wine or cocktails—or books while relaxing. Don't forget to provide ample shade with a stylish umbrella or canopy. I had a lovely Airbnb in Mérida, Mexico, that came with outdoor dining, a pool, and a hammock. The mosquitoes ate well, but I loved it nonetheless.
- Add Greenery and Color: Incorporate greenery and colorful plants to bring life and vibrancy to your outdoor space. Choose low-maintenance plants that thrive in your climate and require minimal care. Hanging baskets, potted plants, and vertical gardens are excellent options for small areas. Additionally, consider adding pops of color with outdoor rugs, throw pillows, and decorative accents. See suggestions below.
- Ambient Lighting: Enhance the ambiance of your outdoor oasis with creative lighting solutions. Hang string lights or fairy lights to create a magical atmosphere during evenings. Place solar-powered lanterns or LED candles on tables for a warm and cozy glow. Lighting adds a touch of enchantment and ensures that your guests can enjoy the space after sunset. Plus, I would get a space to drink wine way later in the evenings.
- Provide Entertainment: Make your outdoor area a place of entertainment by including elements that engage and delight your guests. Install a small Bluetooth speaker system so guests can enjoy their favorite music while relaxing. Set up a selection of outdoor games, such as cornhole or bocce ball, to encourage friendly competition and create lasting memories. Of course, make sure you are not disturbing other guests. My Mexican getaway had no games, but the pool made life much cooler after a scorching day.
Following these tips, you can transform your small outdoor section into a captivating and inviting retreat for your Airbnb guests. Remember to create a harmonious balance between functionality and aesthetics and tailor the space to reflect your unique style. Again, in Merida, the host paid tribute to various regional artists. With a well-furnished and thoughtfully designed backyard, you'll provide an exceptional experience that will make your guests feel right at home. So, go ahead and create an outdoor oasis that will leave a lasting impression on your guests' minds and hearts.
Don't forget to showcase your newly furnished outdoor space on Airbnb listing and social media channels to attract potential guests and give them a glimpse of the relaxing haven that awaits them. Happy hosting!